Friday, August 24, 2012

do you ever feel like a "fish out of water"

"Someone who is in a situation they are unsuited to"


I am pretty much on the outside looking in these days! I've transferred to a Christian College to finish out my degree and in doing so I have to take 30 hours of Bible/Ministry/Leadership classes.  My classes for the next 8 weeks are:  Theology II, Building a Biblical Lifestyle and Foundations of Ministry Leadership.  I honestly love a challenge but Theology II is already pushing my 
 buttons; not because I can't do the work but because I'm in a class full of students who like to use textbook words and terms.  I just want to scream, "use real words people!" When your explaining Presuppositions or The Doctrine of Inspiration  to someone, outside of class, they will NEVER get it!  
Example:  

"if our view of inspiration is inadequate, it will inevitably effect our Christology."

or

"We have to operate on at least some presuppositions, however, we need to be able to give up a presupposition if we find that we were wrong through the study of theology using the Bible."

I get both phrases but can this be articulated in a way that anyone, outside of a theology class could get it?  What do you think?

2 comments:

katiemarie said...

Just remember that you are in a Theology Class. There is nothing wrong with using those words in that context.

Journey Ministry said...

Once a wise a very seasoned Dr. of theology asked one of his class members to open in prayer. The young man stood and clearing his throat delivered a prayer of great and substantial weight. Words of exacting theological identity flowed with precision from his mouth, punctuated with the most glorious "Amen"!

As he seated himself with a smile obviously pleased with his command of theological terms and His ability to properly use them while addressing God Almighty Himself, the professor looked at him sternly with astonishment and satire said: "Would you mind, for the rest of us mere mortals and ignorant peons, explaining in understandable terms what it is you just said to God?"

Terms are important tools for understanding great concepts but real masters remember the words of the Psalmist; The wise make truth acceptable (understandable).

A very important lesson you've identified ..... learn it to be able to share it simply!