This morning as I was dropping off Victoria in the 3 year old class at Bible Study one of the workers says to her, "its so nice that your grandma brought you today!" Of course I smiled and said, "oh I'm not her grandma I her mama!" She then apologizes and steps away to assist someone else. As she walks away I say to Victoria, "funny huh, she thought I was your grandma," and Victoria says with a smile, "you not my gwama, you my ma ma!"
I tried not to let the ladies comment resonate but it did cut a bit deep and hit me hard. Seriously I do have a son thats 30 with two little boys, so in reality I am a grandma, but I do have a 3 year old so that makes me a mommy, so there! and by the way this lady has watched Victoria for the past several weeks! Whats up with that??????
6 comments:
Yikes! I am so sorry that happened. She must feel terrible and awkward and she is probably long overdue for an eye appointment!
Ha, as I was recently out at the park w/ my husband and our youngest (1), I was humored that no one has asked us the "grandparent" question yet...I am 43, and still wonder if we are not quite done yet??
I also was asked last week if my oldest son (21) was my husband...egad, that was more creepy to me, lol.
Anyways, thanks for sharing, I love your 'realness'
~Sheri
I think most people just expect the parent of a 3 year old to be some 20-something...
I wish I could go back to the "you're not really old enough to have kids this big!" comments that I have gotten in the past. :)
I bet that lady felt horrible...
you are over it now, right? no big deal, shake it off...
some things take a little longer to shake off, Amanda! but I"m working on it.
This is sad!
Hope you can forget it!!
Post a Comment